Author Name: StartRight
How would you feel if someone tells you that we invented plastic bags to save the planet? No, we’re not kidding at all. In 1959, Swedish engineer Sten Gustaf Thulin created the plastic bags as an alternative to paper bags in order to save trees.
Similarly, plastic bottles, most commonly known as PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate) bottles, were patented in 1973. These bottles were once considered to be miracle containers, and are now the biggest curse to the survival of our planet.
Why plastic bottles, bags, and other relevant products are the biggest threat to this planet’s existence? Here’s why:
- A plastic bottle takes approximately 450 years to degrade completely.
- Every minute, more than a million plastic bottles are sold globally.
- Our oceans receive 8 million metric tons of plastic annually.
- 700 species of marine animals are on the verge of extinction due to ocean waste.
- It is expected that our oceans will have more plastic than fish by 2050.
Avoid Plastic – It Kills!
We humans once invented the plastic as a substitute for mud, glass, and stone containers. Now, we are inundated by plastic throughout. Look around you, and you will see plastic bottles, shopping bags, food containers, and so many other things.
Plastic pollution has impacted human lives in every possible way. We have become so dependent on plastic that we have stopped looking at the harmful effects of its usage on our health.
Below is the list of ways this harmful material enters our system and damages our health in several ways.
- Seafood lovers devour on the delicacies that are contaminated by the plastic waste released in the oceans.
- We prefer bottled water over tap water and welcome the detrimental microplastics in our bodies.
- Thanks to massive industrialization and poor waste management, we now even inhale plastic particles to our lungs..
- Our food is served in plastic packaging that contains Bisphenol A (BPA) that effects our endocrine system.
Avoiding plastic altogether should be the way forward to have a sustainable environment and a healthy life. We have outlined below the ways to avoid using plastic and be fantastic.